February is Black History Month.
On February 4, Alejandro Campos-Garcia (Sociology) gave a talk, ‘Race in the XXI Century’, sponsored by the TRUFA Equity Committee. Check out the coverage in Kamloops this Week
As part of its Black History Month activities, TRUFA Equity Committee will be emailing out one quiz sheet per week for three weeks in February with facts about Black history. Participants will have a chance to win one of two $10 prizes each week.
The TRUFA Equity Committee encourages everyone to try these quizzes to educate yourselves with some facts about Black history and the contributions Blacks have made to Canada. We would appreciate it if faculty would get their students to participate too.
Also check out TRU’s library info and resources regarding Black history at http://libguides.tru.ca/bhm .
Quiz #2 Black History Month Questions – 2016:
Email your answers to the TRUFA office at firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:30 p.m. on Friday February 12th, 2016 for a chance to win one of two $10 prizes. Make sure your name and contact information is also provided with your answers.
- Who was the first president of The Montreal Coloured Women’s Club?
- Which Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada was instrumental in partially abolishing slavery in Upper Canada?
- Who was the first black person, the first Nova Scotian and first Canadian sailor to be awarded the Victoria Cross on October 28, 1850?
- Which legendary Canadian jazz pianist, organist, composer has won multiple Juno Awards and in 1994 was appointed an officer of The Order of Canada?
- Who invented the “Real McCoy”, a device that improved the lubrication process of the moving parts in locomotives?
The winners to Quiz #1 are: Tracy Hoot and Katherine Watmough.
Congratulations!! Your prizes will be sent to you through interoffice mail.
Below are the answers to Quiz #1:
1) Who became the first black Member of Parliament in Canada on June 25, 1968?
2) Name the poet and author who writes about black communities in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, which he calls Africadia.
George Elliot Clarke
3) Name the historian who wrote a national best-selling book about Marie-Joseph Angelique, a slave in eighteenth century Montreal.
4) In 1903, Kamloops became the first city in BC to elect this black man to its municipal council.
John Freemont Smith
5) Who was the “conductor” on the Underground Railroad that risked her life to help hundreds of people escape slavery by coming to Canada, and then went on to become a nurse, scout and spy for the Union Army during the American Civil War?
Check your email for weekly quizzes!