Thompson Rivers University Faculty Association
Annual Report to TRUFA AGM for 2016-2017
April 24, 2017
The Equity Committee has kept up with the work of discussing and organizing ways in which it can advance the cause of members of equity-seeking groups. To this end, the committee has been engaged in promoting awareness of the need to eradicate any form of discrimination or marginalization in our campus.
Our TRUFA Equity Committee is part of the university Employment Equity Committee (includes members of CUPE, HR, TRUSU and the two co-chairs of TRUFA Equity Committee).
Here are the activities that the committee organized and/or participated in:
- Organized Caribbean dinner with “Caliente” band on October 22 as fund raiser, made $1500 for our initiatives and events.
- Gave input into TRU sexual violence policy.
- Attended and supported TRUSU Pride Parade.
- Contributed items to Shoebox project and Committee members helped fill & deliver boxes for women in need.
- Organized Equity Image Design T-shirt contest, but was declared unsuccessful. The Committee will hire a designer to create image design.
- Advertised Patricia Soley-Beltran’s talks on gender and gender imaging, as well as history of fashion lecture during IDays.
- Supported “Toward Indigenizing Higher Ed” storytelling series and also “Next Steps in Indigenizing TRU”
- Brought to campus Haitian speaker Marie-Ange Noel from Fenme Decide in March 14, 2017
- Helped to advertise Sarah Hunt’s talk on “Decolonizing Rape Culture”
- Co-Chairs facilitated workshops to educate campus community on equity, diversity and inclusion:
- Gail Morong facilitated Antidiscrimination Response Training with TRU World’s Intercultural Council Members
- Mónica Sánchez-Flores facilitated Complex Identities and Social Location Workshop with TRU World’s Intercultural Council Members
- Both Co-chairs gave a talk on racism on campus to Senate International Affairs Committee
- Supported TRUFA’s Status of Women Committee in the preparation of their annual luncheon in honour of December 6th 2016 National Day of Remembrance & Action on Violence against Women
- Co-chair Mónica Sánchez-Flores addressed the City of Kamloops Diversity Committee; Co-chair Gail Morong and members Kyra Garson and Kirstin McLaughlin are members of this Committee.
- Co-chair Gail Morong is CAUT member of their Equity Committee
- Co-chairs would have attended CAUT Equity conference in February, but due to job action, this conference has been postponed to an unknown date.
- Co-chairs Gail Morong participated in Learning at Intercultural Intersections (LII) Conference during IDays with a poster and a paper
- Donated $500 towards Cindy Blackstock, keynote at LII Conference
- Sponsored Kamloops Film Festival movie with equity message: I, Daniel Blake
- Organized a series of events to celebrate and mark Black History Month, February 2017:
- TRUPAC BHM dinner
- Donation to Vicky Nygaard sessional faculty of $500, for her crowd funding effort towards fighting cancer.
- WUSC presentations to our committee, we discussed how to help sponsor a refugee student.
Gail Morong and Mónica Sánchez-Flores
Equity Committee Co-Chairs